Sunday, August 30, 2009

Psychology=Reality?

I am not planning on this being a long post, but I could get carried away.  Anyway as the title implies I have a lot of questions about psychology and its current descriptions of what reality actually is for its patients.  Before I go any further I think this is a super sensitive subject for a lot of folks so I will keep that in mind as I go on.  In the following paragraph I will try to explain why I have some questions with many psychological theories.  This will not be a complete explanation of what I think, but it will I think show you why I question.

Today we have grown so accustomed to listening to 'professionals' that I think we may second-guess our own reasoning.  This is not the only question but it is definitely one big one.  Psychology is a soft science, meaning that it can not be examined completely by the scientific method.  For years and years people have not had near as many labels and seemed to have made i at least as good if not better than our current generation with its many labels.  One of two things is true about the last statement.  Either people have new 'disorders' that have not always been around or they have always had these 'disorders' but no one called them that.  Or there is a third option actually; that psychologists have conveyed a reality to people that is not real.  To be sure it may have some aspects of reality, but the cause of the 'disorder' if you will is not really the cause.  Another question I have is a little more subjective, but I worry that if I believed wholeheartedly in psychology then I may begin to believe that the emotional problems that I have sometimes and the bad attitude that I have sometimes and the lack of attention that I have sometimes may in fact be out of my control anyway.  That type of thinking to me is one of the biggest crippling effects that psychological labels can do.

Now for some arguments I have in defense of psychology.  There seems to be some physical causes that can mess with a person's emotions.  One pretty common experience I can think of for a lot of women to some degree or another is post-partum depression.  It has been proven that having a baby messes with the hormone levels in mothers.  Hormone levels mess with a person's feelings, so that they feel depressed or irritated or a whole host of other unwanted emotions.  This varies from person to person but I do think it is physically caused.  
Once again I am just being honest about a lot of questions I have.  I respect a heck of a lot of folks that do not agree with me.  I also know from experience that it sucks horribly bad to be depressed for a long period of time.  I am just asking questions.
Anyway, I will finish by sharing something that may give a little insight into what I believe is missing from the psychological viewpoint.  Emily dealt with some post-partum depression after each of the babies.  She is pretty open about it, so I don't think she would mind me saying.  In talking to her this is how she describes the experience.  She said that it was like her brain was having thoughts and her body having feelings that she didn't want them to have, but in the middle of all that she was telling herself, "Emily you shouldn't feel this way.........."  She would continue by telling herself what was reality.  I love my baby.  God is here.  Hopefully, she would say, Ryan loves me.  But you get the point.  Its as if there really is something else beyond this physical body.  Of course I think this is the truth that is missing in the psychological viewpoint.  If the Bible is correct, we are not all just a bunch of bones, organs, flesh, and chemicals.  Yet most psychology does not take into account that we are anything more than just that.....flesh, bones, organs, and chemicals.  
Hopefully I'll be able to type some more on this at another time.  I would love any comments that could show me something I am missing.

Ryan

No comments: