Sunday, March 15, 2009

A People Pleaser; the biggest slave of all

There is a big difference between being and appearing to be.  These may overlap sometimes, but they are not the same.  I had a situation that reminded me of that this weekend.  I won't go into detail, but I told myself that I am done trying to appear as anything.  I'm going to be.  Now that is a heck of a lot easier said than done, but that is my new resolution.  So many times I have let what I appear to be dictate instead of acting the way I ought before God.  I'm now wondering if the whole thought process of wanting to appear christian is good at all.  Now hopefully if I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart and love those around me then someone will ask about the hope that is in me, like it says in Peter.  But going around tip-toeing is not loving.  It is self/image protecting.  I'm not here promoting the idea of using liberty as a cover to sin either.  I pray that if that is in any of my motive that God will break me of it.  It didn't seem to bother Jesus that some called Him a wine-bibber and a glutton.  As a matter of fact as I was typing a verse popped in my head that He said.  Beware when all men speak well of you.  So I should not hold the opinion of all as my measuring stick.  Jesus must have drank and ate with sinners.  I think the Bible says that.  I know He turned water into wine.  He put Himself in places that at first glance could have looked like He was doing something wrong, and some folks accused Him of sin.  Yet we know He was absolutely perfect.  He did not concern Himself with appearing in any way.  He just was.  He always pleased the Father.  
My point is this.  There will always be folks around questioning my motives and even actions if I really go out and love people.  If I love people and tell them about the holy God of Scripture, not the American replica, that we including myself at the forefront have presented, then I will not be accepted by everyone.  But what am I losing.  I have lived the other side too, and found that no matter how hard I try please everyone and avoid every single possible appearance of evil, someone will be offended.  And all to often my motive becomes hoping that I appear Christian in the way the audience I'm around at the time defines it.  I'm sick of it.  God help me just love Him and everyone I can around me.  I would love any insight or comments anyone would like to offer on the subject.

Ryan

2 comments:

Lune Bob said...

More excellent thoughts, Mr. Ryan. I am blessed by your heart and your insights.

Regarding being and appearing, it is interesting to consider the matter not only in regard to ourselves, but also toward our fellow believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24).

Once I was in the presence of a group of professing believers. These dear ones were all in very difficult physical conditions, many of them confined to wheelchairs. My first response was the normal feelings of sympathy and sadness for their difficult station in life. This was proper, of course, but the thought also occurred to me that the greater truth was that I was looking at literal, spiritual temples of the living God! "Ye are the temple of God" said Paul to even the carnal Corinthians, and the truth is true of every born again believer (I Corinthians 3:16).

You can imagine that my thought and attitude changed quickly and profoundly. I was nearly overwhelmed with emotion, and had trouble composing myself.

Since that time, I try to remember that the appearances of believers can fluctuate greatly, from blessed godliness to sad failure. However, the truth never changes regarding their being. They always ARE what they are, and I find this helps in relating to believer from a position of great strength, confidence, forthrightness, and most of all, love.

Keep writing, Mr. Ryan. You have much to say.

Ryan said...

Thankyou, I read a devotional once about someone who speaks to a group often in very difficult physical situations that said almost exactly what you said. Its hard to remember this sometimes.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what is your name?