Monday, July 21, 2008

Please don't grow dull of hearing

You know, in the christian life we revisit things all the time.  In one sense we are saying and reading the same things over and over again.  It is evident by all the new christian books sold that we are discontent.  Now I know that christian books outside of the Bible can be very helpful to us, but I know at least for me that many times I would rather read a christian book than the Bible.  There are times when it is good to read other books, in fact it is good to do a lot to freshen our view and be encouraged to pursue God.  But I want to encourage anyone who might possibly read this; God still speaks in the pages of Scripture, and if you will ask Him to help you honestly hear what He says you will understand and be better off than you would by reading any other book.  I really believe this.  You may not understand the entire passage you read, but if you pray and look to God honestly He will make what you need to understand clear.  I promise.  Jesus promised that if anyone seeks he will find.  He is willing to show His wisdom to people that search like dependent children.  If you have become discontent with reading the Bible, or have never really understood it when you read, you are not alone.  I used to read it growing up and it never made much sense to me.  But I promise it is not God's inability to communicate.  Try praying then reading with the intent to really understand and follow and I promise you will not be disappointed.  Remember our christian walk begins and ends in the same place.......... Jesus.  Its only more intimate as we go.  We found this Jesus through the words of Scripture, so we must assume that we will understand Him and His will through Scripture.  This is the argument that Peter makes for us to desire the Word of God.  Read 1Peter1:22-2:3.  So please do not grow dull of hearing Jesus.  Listen to Him in His Word.  

No comments: