Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Want Greatness!

I do!  I can ignore the fact, or try to humbly reject it, but the fact is that I want greatness.  I want something extraordinary, something excellent, something filled with glory.  I do not want the ho-hum life.  I do not want to glide into the subtle trap of the just get by.  Now I can hear some saying, "yeah me too, I want to be the best, I want to excel above everyone so everybody will know who I am."  I can also hear some saying, "well that seems kinda cocky; I live what you might consider the ho-hum life.  I don't have a notorious job.  I think I'm doing ok with my life."  I disagree with first quote, and I might disagree with the second depending on what is meant by 'ok'.  I'm not talking about putting others down. I'm talking about being excellent; getting involved in something with all my heart that is full of glory.  I'm talking about something bigger than me.  So if the second quote may happen to mean just doing enough to get by to pay the bills, or finish the job or any kind of minimalist type of attitude then I'm against it.  Yet if you mean by 'ok' doing a satisfactory job to the best of your ability then I agree.  I know I just made those arguments up, but it helps me to clarify what I mean.  I think we all want greatness.  This can be good or evil, depending on if it is totally selfish or not.  I do think there was a man from Galilee that said we ought not just get by, but pursue His kingdom with passion.  I agree with C.S. Lewis.  He said that it is not that we are to passionate, but that we are not passionate enough.  He said we are like children that are consumed with a sand castle, not realizing that there is a real castle just a little ways away.  (My paraphrase)

No comments: