Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Sense of Humor

My mom used to quote a verse about laughter being like medicine.  I was just trying to remember exactly how it goes, but I can't.  The jest of it was what I just stated though.  I'm almost positive is in Proverbs somewhere.  Anyway, I know I have felt the truth of that verse many times in my life.
It just feels good to get a good belly laugh at something or myself.  But I also know that all too many times I laughed at things that grieve the heart of God.  Either because of feeling uncomfortable not to laugh or because the remaining filth still within me, I have laughed at things that are not funny to our Lord at all.  I am making this post to get my thoughts out about a conversation I have been having with another christian about a post he made on facebook.  I told him that I didn't think it was right to joke about some things.  I can't and wouldn't want to make a list of the things that are wrong to joke about, but I think a good question to ask is if our Lord would find humor in it.  Or can I say thank to God for the humor about whatever it is I'm laughing at.  We can know this for sure.  God has a special place in His heart for the hurting and needy.  To laugh at anyone like this is very dangerous.  For the Bible speaks over and over again about the 'Defender of the weak.'  God is not a cosmic killjoy.  He is happy.  He wants you be as well........In Him.  I pray that I would do this, and not just write a post to others.

I really believe that we can tell a lot about who we really are by what we think is funny.  God help us all not sacrifice grieving our Lord for a good laugh.


No comments: